Thursday, May 7, 2009

letting go

Today was a big day in the Thornton household.  Callie had her very first end of the year music program.  She did a great job and sang her little heart out.  So cute.  We then had muffins with Mom in her classroom.  She was so excited to have me sit next to her, drink juice out of a dixie cup, and eat muffins and cheese puffs.   I absolutely love her teachers and the other kids and parents.  I feel blessed to have found such a wonderful place for her to learn, grow, and make friends.
I also feel blessed that Bryce has had 3 great years at the same school.  Next year will be his first year in public school....it's off to Kindergarten!!  Today was registration at the school where he will attend next year.  He was so excited and I am trying my best to get him ready to go to "big school".  They did a really great job at the school and it all went really smoothly.  I was a little overwhelmed but feel like it will be a good fit for him.  We are lucky that it is going to be a really small school (only around 650 students...small for our county) and the teachers and principal are great.   I already signed up for PTA and am hoping to meet some parents and help out as much as possible.  We are also going to several school related things next week...kindergarten round-up, an RTI meeting to discuss Bryce's learning issues, and a meeting regarding the possibility of putting him in a multi age class (k and 1st together...he would stay in the same class with the same teacher for 2 years).  My favorite moment was when Bryce in a very serious tone told Callie..."today mommy is signing me up for college".  I had to correct him and he quickly said "well kindergarten and college are almost the same thing".  I guess in regards to a mom learning to let go, they really aren't that different....smart kid.

2 comments:

erin said...

Isn't it hard when your baby is ready for kindergarten?! He is so big. And that Callie~precious! We really have to get together before they are going to college!
love~erin

Barb said...

kindergarten...college. He is a smart kid. I'm having as much trouble with the college thing as I did kindergarten!