Sunday, April 8, 2007

Ready, Set, Walk!

I have made a big commitment this past week. I have committed to walking 60 miles over 3 days to raise money and support for breast cancer. Why you may ask? Well, I wasn't quite sure myself until we did our first fundraiser yesterday. We stood outside Kroger in 35 degree weather asking people to help us out. Some people donated money, some people offered prayers, and most people offered stories. Stories of loved ones suffering not only from breast cancer but from many other types of cancer. Personal stories of their own struggles. I even received a huge hug from a 75 year old women. With tears in her eyes, she thanked me for what we were doing. She has already lost 3 close family members to breast and other forms of cancer. And that is why I am walking.
It was a great way to start out the journey I am about to take. We raised over six hundred dollars, of which $148 will go to my own personal fundraising pot!! The money is really needed (I have to personally raise $2200) but the experience was worth more I think. And I'm sure the thought of it will get me through many 6am training walks.
I am positive that many more blogs will be about this. You can also check out my 3 day page at the link listed under my favorite things.

No comments: