Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I am forever changed

The breast cancer 3 day walk was this past weekend. I can not even begin to express how amazing it was. it was an experience that will be etched in my heart forever. Yes, it was hard. By Sunday I thought my feet might actually fall off. But I did it! I did not take one bus. I walked every step of the way. And along the way I cemented friendships that will last forever. And i heard stories that moved me to tears. and I held the arm of a 65 year old survivor as she marched towards the finish...determined to walk the entire sixty miles. She was and may always be my inspiration.
I laughed more, cried more, and had more fun in one weekend then I ever have. We slept in tents and it was soooo cold, but Heather (my tent mate) and I fell asleep laughing both nights. The food wasn't gourmet but at the end of a twenty mile walk it was great. Even the portapotties were okay....never mind, I take that back. I hope to never see another one again. Or at least until next year. I can't wait to walk again in 2008. And if you want to know why just read the statement below....it was part of opening ceremonies.
"We walk because we must. We are strong because the journey demands it. Together in body and united in spirit, we lay down our footsteps for this generation and the next. This is our promise: a world without breast cancer."
Here are some pictures from the weekend. You can click on the picture for a brief description.

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: