Monday, March 10, 2008

what we do for our kids

We made a major decision about Bryce recently. We decided to hold him back a year and not send him on to a full day kindergarten next year. He has a summer bday which would make him one of the younger kids. We spoke to his teacher about it and she agreed it might be best. He is smart but developmentally just not ready. So...our plan was to keep him at the church preschool where he is in their half day kindergarten. But there is a kink in the plan. They might not have enough kids for a class. So we had to move on to step B which is to put him in a GA Pre-K Program. The only one that I would consider is at The Buice School. A Gwinnett county school that is solely for Special Needs Pre-K and the State funded Pre-K program (most state funded Pre-K's are in daycares...not a route I really wanted to take). This morning was the day to get an appointment for registration. They told me the doors opened at 8am but that people usually got there early...really early, like 5am early. So I woke up at 4am, got ready, grabbed some coffee, and arrived at the school at 4:45. I was not the first one there!! There was at least 15 people in front of me!! Luckily the women who were there were all really nice (why is it always the moms who do this kind of stuff?) and the next 3 hours past pretty quickly. Did I mention that it was 30 degrees outside?
One day when Bryce gets really mad at me and screams "you don't care about me" I have my fall back story of "oh yeah, well I sat in 30 degree weather for 3 hours just to get you into a great school".
I'm now going to bed...It's been a long day.

2 comments:

The Evans' said...

It's fun, isn't it? I, too, stood in line for Jared, but he is at a "daycare" pre-k program that I love (it was the same one and same teachers that Chandler had). Luckily for me, I got there at 4 am, and they gave out "numbers" at like 6 am, so I got to go home from 6 am till 9 am when I went back and filled out paperwork! Heather is keeping Nathan back, also - his birthday IS Sept. 1st, if you haven't already talked to her about it...

Anonymous said...

OK, this may seem a little creepy . . BUT . . we Moms sometimes have to do creepy things in the name of our children. My son has been "placed" in a collaborative pre-k class at Buice for next year. I'm not even sure what that means and I cannot find any information about the school on their website or any other website. It's the weekend, and I am working up a full-head of steam for Monday when I go in and go ballistic on the school system! I was hoping maybe you could share why you chose Buice.

I admit, I haven't taken the time to explore your blog, yet. So, I don't know if your son has any developmental delays, like my son. I'm sorry this is out of the left field and left on an old post, but I couldn't find a ready place to email you.

Because this is a public blog, I don't want to leave too much info about my son, but they are pulling him out of the early intervention preschool classroom he is in to put him almost 20 miles away from our home school, which is where his sister will be attending kindergarten next year. AFTER they assured me he would be attending one of two places near-by. I was informed by email at 5pm Friday. I have been fuming and stressing since.

I am about ready to apply to homeschool and let them bring his therapist to the house.

Any information to ease my anger at Gwinnett County Schools would be appreciated!

Thanks
Michelle
BananaSplit1974@aol.com