Sunday, November 18, 2007

I don't like scratch muffins

Bryan and I are really trying to watch what we eat (me for weight loss, him for possible career change...long story). This has led to a complete revamping of food choices in our home. I have decided that I really need to try to fix healthier things for the kids....less boxed and processed foods and more homemade, natural things.
I started this weekend with fresh veggies instead of canned which got a huge "gross" right away from Bryce. I then tried homemade Mac and Cheese instead of the boxed stuff. While Bryan and I both agreed that it was really, really, good (Barefoot Contessa recipe from the food network), Bryce and Callie both turned their noses up and refused to eat it. This frustrated me and after several "nice" attempts to get him to try it I finally went to the old "you need to eat 4 bites or no tv" standby.
This morning I again tried to stay healthy and I fixed homemade blueberry muffins instead of the mix from a bag (Bryce's favorite). When I called Bryce to the table and put one in front of him he screamed "yuck" right away. I told him that they looked different because they have fresh blueberries in them...just like he loves to eat from the carton. He took a tiny bite and spit it back out. At this point I am really frustrated and I tell him, "eat the muffin...I made them from scratch and they are really good". He then says " But mommy, you said they were blueberry muffins...I don't want scratch muffins" and starts to cry. I officially give up. Tomorrow we will be having Kraft mac and cheese and White Lilly Blueberry muffins.....who cares about preservatives!!

No comments: