Wednesday, October 22, 2008

trying to get excited

Ok....so I am trying really hard to get excited about the 3 day this weekend. After all of the fundraising, preparation, and headaches you would think I would be over the top exited. Well several things have kinda put a hitch in the weekend.
First...they are calling for rain. and highs in the low 50's. I'm just having a hard time being excited about walking 20 miles while wet and cold. If it's still raining when we get to camp then we have to put up our tents in the rain! (don't tell but I actually have a backup plan that involves a car ride to a warm, dry place to sleep!).
Second....I have been wishing away this pain that I have had in my foot for around 6 months. Wishful thinking didn't really do much and now I am still having pain. Last weekend, after walking just 1 mile, my foot started really hurting which freaked me out. I started wondering what it would feel like after 60 miles. So....I called a friend who is an athletic trainer who listened to the problem and referred me to his brother, who is also an athletic trainer. The verdict....not definite, but chances are it is a stress fracture (of the narvicular bone? Scott...if you happen to read this, feel free to clarify. anatomy is not my thing). Yea me. so the current plan is to walk in pain. I have been planning on this event for a year so a little pain isn't going to stop me!! If the pain gets progressively worse over the 60 miles then I will go next week to an orthopedic who will probably put me in a boot for a couple weeks.
I'm sure after the walk I will post about how wonderfully amazing it was but right now I am having a hard time getting pumped for it.
Sooo....if you live in the ATL area and you happen to see a massive amount of people walking down the side of the road in the rain....honk and wave at them. Chances are they will need the encouragement!!

1 comment:

lauren said...

are you kidding me? Orthopedic boots are the new thing. you're ahead of the curve.

good luck with the walk. maybe some wine in the water bottle to kill the ache?