Sunday, March 29, 2009

do something


This week officially kicked off my 2009 3 day. Yes...I am walking again. Why?.....well, why wouldn't I. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and have come to these conclusions.

It is important to do something.

It is important to try to make the world a better place.

It is important to stand up for people that can not stand up for themselves.

and it is important to show your kids how to do these things.

Anne Frank once said "how wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world". Last year the 3 day raised $110 million dollars. Every cent of that money was raised by people just like me that decided to do something. People that did what Anne Frank was talking about and stopped waiting. How amazing is that!

My kids and I always have the radio on in the car. Just recently they started playing the 3 day commercials. You probably know the ones. They always play the song "I wanna do something that matters...". Well, this year, every time Bryce hears them he says "that's what you do mommy. That's your race. You help people that are sick" (this is how we have tried to explain the walk and my absence for the 3 days). So...I know that he is getting it. He is understanding that it is important to help others. And I hope one day he finds his own "do something".

On a much lighter note....I got my fist 2 donations this week! Thanks Cheryl and Nancy. You both rock! I am a little less nervous about the fundraising because of yall!

We also had our first big team fundraiser....A Texas holdem tournament!! It went really well and we raised around $1,300. Everyone had fun. My friend Jennifer was the last women standing and came in 3rd out of 47 players!! Thanks to all of you that came out to support us. We decided to have shirts made this year to wear and to sell. I love them! We are selling them for $10 so if you are interested please let me know.

I'm sure that I will have many more posts about the 3 day and my fundraising and training journey. If you would like to help out and make a donation please click on the 3 day widget on the right and it will take you to my personal page. Each walker has to raise a minimum of 2,300 this year, so I need all the help I can get!!

Four of the five members of this years 3 day team
Love our shirt design!! If you want to buy one please let me know.
All of the money goes to the 3 day and it is a great way to advertise this amazing cause.

No comments: