Monday, April 6, 2009

slowing down

Slow down. I have been thinking this to myself for the last couple of months. Laying in bed at night wondering where the day went while my mind floods with all of the things I need to do the next day. I wake up running and fall asleep with my mind racing. You moms (especially the ones that work full time) out there know what I'm talking about. And I'm tired. And I feel like I'm missing out on something...but I can't quite wrap my mind around what that might be because I never stop long enough to figure it out.
Last week while dropping the kids off at preschool I had a brief conversation with Callie's teacher. We were talking about getting dishes done, and getting laundry done, and doing speech lessons, and scheduling doctors appointments. And then she told me that her mom gave her advice. "She said they will only be 2, or 5, or 11 for a short time. Ignore the other stuff every once in a while and concentrate on what matters".
I don't want to miss 2 and 5. I want to relish in it. Burn it in my memory so that in 20 years I can see it clear as glass. I don't want to remember the traffic, and the dirty car, and the housework. I want to remember how Bryce laughed when he felt the grass on his feet and how Callie likes cuddle on your lap with her thump stuck firmly in her mouth when she is tired.
So this week (spring break), I am taking a break. I have vowed to myself to only do the most necessary housework (dishes at night can't really be ignored!), to stop sitting with my laptop open in front of me, and to ignore the ringing phone. I will spend the days (except when working...can't really stop that!) doing activities the kids and being in the moment.
Today we spent the day having a picnic, playing wii, running in the yard, and taking a really long bubble bath (the kids, not me). I even allowed the jets with the bubbles (not usually allowed due to very messy past experiences). And when the kids yelled for me, squealing with delight, I did not get mad at the waterfall of bubbles flowing onto the floor. I laughed with them and took a picture. I am starting to really like the slower life.

No comments: